Thursday, October 7, 2010

I have a cunning plan.

As some of you know, I'm planning on participating in National Novel Writing Month. I know some of you are as well. This made me think. We all know how dangerous that is.

Why don't we do this as a shared world type of deal, where every story takes place in different places and times of the same larger setting? We could get a Wiki going (which would be pretty easy to set up, actually), take the rest of October to populate this Wiki with our ideas and tell each other of our incipient plots, and then, in November... write.

This could easily be expanded to include those who aren't up for 50,000 words of a single narrative or those artist friends of ours with a more visual skill set. Short stories or novellas could be written instead, pictures could be drawn, and other fabulous things.

I think, if pulled off, this could be magnificent. Who's interested? Show of hands, please!

5 comments:

  1. That actually sounds like a super, cunning plan.

    Are you down for a slightly futuristic world with an underwater city utopia? I totally don't have a plot yet, so I may be down for something completely different too. I figure that technology can create what looks like magic, so even sci fi, mainstream and fantasy can coexist.

    In short: good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That could certainly be incorporated. Is it Earth or another place?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking Earth, but what did you have in mind, hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason I thought about setting it on another world was because that way, I could play with the history... (Unless the underwater city utopia is the culmination of a centuries-long plot of Sir Francis Walsingham. Aw yeah. :D)

    A 'fantasy' world that didn't really have magic per se but was purely technology-based (or sufficiently advanced technology-based) could be an interesting thing. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete